Everyone Needs Playtime

In our hectic, modern lives, many of us focus so heavily on work and family commitments that we never seem to have time for pure fun. Somewhere between childhood and adulthood, we stopped playing.

When we carve out some leisure time, we’re more likely to zone out in front of the TV or computer than engage in fun, rejuvenating play like we did as children. But play is not just essential for kids; it can be an important source of relaxation and stimulation for adults as well.

There doesn’t need to be any point to the activity beyond having fun and enjoying yourself. By giving yourself permission to play with the joyful abandon of childhood, you can reap oodles of health benefits throughout life.

Sunday

Perfect Day

The weather was absolutely perfect today, the temperature was 28 C, the sky was blue, and there was just a slight northerly breeze. It was what one would call an idyllic spring day.

So after enjoying a hearty husband cooked breakfast of bacon, eggs and button mushrooms, followed by buttered toast with marmalade and a cup of Earl Grey tea, we set off to enjoy some of that lovely sunshine.

Pup was sitting safely in his booster seat looking out the  car window as we set off up the road to Cardinia and Crystal Brook Park.

THE WATER TOWER

Cardinia Reservoir is truly stunning when the weather aligns as it did today . . . the water was a brilliant aqua and quite spectacular. Cardinia itself is a stunning expanse of water and is Melbourne's second-largest reservoir. The dam at the Reservoir is a rolled earth and rockfill embankment, and was completed in 1973.

NOT MY PHOTO

Crystal Brook Park that surrounds it, features a dedicated Kangaroo Viewing Trail, about 15 minutes one way, starting at the spillway carpark. The kangaroos are most active and easiest to spot grazing on the open grassy slopes during dawn and dusk. We were there mid morning, so all we saw was all the roo poo left behind after their dawn graze.

NOT MY PHOTO

Crystal Brook picnic ground is the perfect location to spend time relaxing in nature and exploring. There is plenty of parking, a playground which you can see here with the dam wall behind, barbecues, shelter and toilets.

We then drove to Emerald (the home of Puffing Billy) and stopped at the Over the Road Café for ice-cream cones. I had strawberry, hubby had mango sorbet and pup tried a little of both while we sat outside in the sun.

THE CAFE IS THE ONE WITH THE UMBRELLAS

Driving home via Beaconsfield meant hitting the Freeway and we were surprised by the amount of traffic on the road, it was like peak hour. Everyone has been airing their grievances about the cost of fuel here, however, it certainly didn't deter them from taking advantage the beautiful weather today.

Hope you enjoy the pics!
Big hugs,
X

4 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely trip you made. I wish I had more parks nearby, but Santiago doesn't have many of easy access to me. I miss traveling south of Chile and taking photos, last time I did it was when I brought a Licca doll with me and posted it on the blog (2019 I think?). Maybe when my dog is less of a tornado I can bring him on vacations with me :)
    Too bad you didn't see any kangoroos, but at least you are close enough for more chances if you so wish. It seems like it was the perfect way to spend a nice weather day. Here spring has been mixed so far, either too hot or too cold and my plants don't know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a long trip, but it did us all good to get out of the house for a bit. I wanted to visit there as from 2027 it will be closed for 3 years whilst they perform maintenance . . . obviously it going to be a big job. I've seen the kangaroos before and didn't really miss them.
      You should take him on vacation, we always take ours, there are lots of places that accept dogs now.
      We've had the same problem, but luckily some plants that didn't flower well last year have really thrived and taken me by surprise, the Freesia have done exceptionally well and their fragrance is lovely when one walks from the front gate to the door. Do you have many plants in your garden?
      😘

      Delete
    2. I've tried to have a garden in the backyard, but I have a very agressive type of grass that is really hard to get rid of (the kind that lowers the price of a land intended for farming kind of bad). Every time I put plants in, the grass just suffocates everything. A good thing for my dog though, as he can play all he wants on it. I do have a shade garden in the front of my house that I've been slowly expanding, with some big ferns and hydraengas. And I also plant a lot of flowers in pots :) I love gardening and it's what kept me sane through tough times.

      Delete
    3. I think I may know that grass, my hubby is always pulling the runners out. My garden is the opposite to yours and my fernery is at the back and I have a garden with lawn and some pots at the front. We should share some garden photos sometime.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog, I appreciate those who take the time to comment, ask questions or leave feedback. :)

SPAMMERS: Comments are moderated and all spam is deleted!