Some of the things I love, apart from hubby, family (this includes my fur baby) & friends are :-
Dolls of course, teddy bears, doll houses, fabric & yarn (I have a stash of both), warm sunny days and being surrounded by colour.
I also like blogs which are interesting, and bloggers who really want to be part of a community, who want to converse with other bloggers.
Some of the things I enjoy doing:-
Designing clothes for my dolls (both knitted and sewn), writing short stories (especially fantasy ones) & poetry, illustrating, photography, going to fashion exhibitions with my daughter, blogging and chatting with my online blogger friends.
It's because of that last item, that I have been looking for more active blogs to add to my reading list, particularly those written by doll or craft enthusiasts. Well I did find a few, some were interesting, a couple that were . . . well they were just a bit boring (my attention isn't captured by a lot of moaning). Then there a few blog that would have really been interesting, if only they hadn't had so many distractions down the side columns.
Things I'm not fond of:-
Like most people, there are somethings I dislike, such as all white walls in a home, gossip, and grumpy people. There are of course, other things I just tolerate, like going for medical check ups.
However, one thing that really gripes me, is blogs that are inundated with advertising, so much so you cannot read a paragraph before you are bombarded with unwanted intrusions. Also blog layouts that are over the top, featuring highly decorated, maximalist or cluttered aesthetics.
I guess I'm a KISS person at heart and prefer people to . . . Keep It Simple Sweetheart!
What do you look for in a blog? Do you prefer to read simple style blogs, colourful blogs, "ad free" blogs or perhaps a combination?
Do you have any things you particularly love or dislike that you would care to share? Don't be shy, I'd love to read your thoughts.
Big hugs,
X



This is an interesting topic, and as someone that's been making websites since highschool I could talk for hours.
ReplyDeleteI don't mind ads if they don't disrupt the flow of the page, but most ads these days are pretty disruptive. I rather make no money at all and have my blog clean. I probably won't be a returning reader on a blog full of ads, it's not the experience I want when reading and it's not the experience I want to give to readers.
Maximalism as an aesthetic of choice I understand, but it's not very user friendly.
All that was good in the 2000s when css was new and we were all experimenting, but now a cleaner look is best.
All of this made me remember oekaki boards. It's like a guestbook but you left a drawing. I had one in my website when I used to post drawings online (I starting photographing because it helped me create the images in my head way better than any drawing I made could).
As for things I love, dolls, books, videogames (mostly chill ones, I don't have it in me to do hardcore stuff anymore) and christmas.
I want to learn embroidery, but I never find the time to start.
I love reading your blog it's so easy on the eye, clear, yet still pretty.
DeleteYes, Alejandra I feel like history is repeating itself, and I may be showing my age. I do hope things brighten up though and our regular bloggers come back soon.
🙄 fancy me forgetting to add Christmas to my likes.
😘
I feel you about the cluttered blogs. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to find a loooot of new blogs now that younger people are getting into it after it became popular on tiktok a few weeks ago, but I think that maybe a few are so used to overstimulation that they need to add a lot of interactive widgets in the column (I could be wrong, though, I don't know any of them personally!). I don't mind a few here and there, but since I'm here to read about what they want to share, so I mostly ignore the widgets. They are so creative with their blogs, though! I'll give them that. ♡
ReplyDeleteI also went into a blog that had a newsletter pop-up... so, I immediately clicked out. Maybe this person didn't know about reading lists, but lately with how everything is 30% and 70% ads/influencers and pop-ups, that was my automatic response. Blogger is sort of my safespace where I can escape all of that.
So this new surge was tictoc inspired I didn't know that. I'm not really into a lot of other types of social media.
DeleteI don't mind a few either, and I agree some are very creative, but others really overdo it.
Don't get me started on influencers, some of the stuff that I see makes my skin crawl. Now I'm starting to sound like a whinger. 😧
Yes they are a pain in the butt too Alondra, I believe you can block pop-ups, but I'm not sure how to do it.
You keep doing what you're doing and we'll stick around and enjoy your company.
😘
Interesting thoughts and observations about blogging! Blogspot is such a wonderful platform with endless creative and design possibilities, so it's only natural to want to cram everything in there, including ads. But I completely agree that moderation is key.
ReplyDeleteI recently gave my own blog a complete makeover, and I like it so much more now. At the end of the day, if the author feels comfortable in their own blog space, visitors will feel comfortable too. Atmosphere, friendliness, and shared interests are what matter most — and your blog has all of those! I always read your posts with great pleasure 💗
I agree Inesa. I have seen your new look, it's very neat and tidy. Similar set up as another blog I'm very familiar with, but not entirely the same . . . I love it! I hope you post again soon I have been checking regularly because for a while my blog list wasn't updating with recent posts, but all fixed now.
Delete😘
I'm so glad you like my blog! It really inspires me to create new posts. I'm already working on one 🙂
ReplyDelete