Each calico panel was drawn, then painted with water colours, then the outlines were embroidered as well as the flowers on the hat in the 4th panel, buttons were sewn on and the glass beads for eyes. The backing is in natural calico. It's not perfect, but I didn't think it too bad for a first try.
I made this quilt some time back for the beautiful antique crib that my sweet hubby bought me years ago, and which my fur baby sleeps in from time to time . . . and often just sits in to watch the passing parade through the window. He's very good with my Zwergnase Nili 3 and the teddy I made, that both sit in the crib . . . he looks but doesn't touch.
The photo below my hubby took another time, where my little furry one was sitting in his own bed inside the crib. You can see some of my dolls in the background which were on display in the studio at the time.
Do any of you make quilts? Do you have any pets? I'd love to see them if you do.
Big hugs,
X




It looks lovely! I only made a quilt for my dolls (there's a post about it somewhere). Your dog seems to love your work as well :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you Mia. Oh he loves it, every morning when we are about to do our breakfast dishes I ask him "who wants to go into the baby bed" and he puts his paws up for me to pick him up. He's a funny little fellow and we dote on him. π
DeleteYour dog is so cute and well behaved!! Mine is still a tornado sometimes. I haven't done quilting, but I also don't know how to use a sewing machine so there's that. I've done aprons sewn by hand out of old bed sheets and that's it.
ReplyDeleteMy dog is named Manchita and he is a doodle looking white furball, except he is a mutt from the streets LOL but he sometimes looks very regal when he sits.
Thanks Alejandra, but he's not always so. He loves to get into tissues and tear them up and if I'm folding the washing and putting them on the coffee table he's likely to run off with something just to get me to chase him. I think it's typical behaviour for a toy poodle though.
DeleteYou don't need a sewing machine to quilt, you can do it all by hand, but it takes forever. That's why this is only a small quilt, I'd never do a large one . . . I'd be dead before it got finished. π€£
I like the name Manchita, I gather he's a boy then. Ah the regal look is the poodle in him for sure. π
You did it by hand? wow! I find it looks super professional, doesn't look like a first to me. Maybe I should make a 1/6 scale one LOL
DeleteLOL! No I didn't do all of it by hand, just some of it, but if you are only doing a tiny 1/6 scale one it wouldn't take you long to do it. π
DeleteOh my gosh if you didn't say it was your first attempt, I wouldn't even have suspected it! It's so beautiful and I love what you did with the watercolors and embroidery. Bravissima!
ReplyDeleteThat's very kind of you Alondra, it's not perfect, but I'm happy with it. I thought the painting might appeal to you, watercolours work quite well on calico, you should try it some time just for fun. π
DeleteThe quilt is wonderful! It's so clear how much time, hard work, and love went into making it. I love this antique bed, and it's so sweet to see the photo with the puppy sitting on it. I love dogs so much! If I had my own place and more space, I would definitely get a puppy π₯°
ReplyDeleteThank you Inesa. The crib is very old and all those spindles were hand made, not two are exactly the same. Life is not the same without a dog, when we lost our Coco who was a rescue dog, I wanted another straight away. Unfortunately getting a rescue dog here in Australia takes forever, especially if you want a small dog, so we bought our little poodle from a breeder as a puppy, he's four now.
Deleteπ
Woow your quilt is awesome! I love colours and everything, I admire your patienceπ©·
ReplyDeleteThanks Miru, I'm surprised I actually finished it because I don't have a lot of patience. I usually tackle things I can finish in a day or two. π
Delete